Monday, September 16, 2013

Picnic Table Makeover

I had this idea to have my cousins over for a bonfire in October. Great idea, right? It was, until I remembered that I didn't have any lawn furniture.

We had decided that a picnic table was the best choice for us because we don't have a patio for a table and chairs. Then I looked at the price of a picnic table. It was an unexpected surprise to see them go for $100 minimum. That just wasn't going to happen right now. So my sister in law suggested Freecycle. That night I searched and posted on Freecycle, Craigslist, and a buy/sell group I belong to on Facebook. Within 24 hours I found a style Joe and I agreed on and that was in reasonable shape for $10.

I quickly recruited someone with a bigger car then mine to help me pick it. After seeing it in person I became a little nervous. It wasn't in quite as great a shape as I had thought. It also didn't help that the guys wife, who was home at the time, seemed a little confused as to why I was buying something so old. (This is where I would like to show y'all a before picture, however I wasn't smart enough to take one or copy it from the listing before it expired.)

Never one to give up, we brought in home in several pieces, and determined that four of the supports had to be replaced, as well as one of the boards on a bench. We acquired some wood, stain and borrowed a power sander. That's when I got REALLY nervous. How were the new boards going to blend it? What am I sacrificing in my attempt to be ridiculously cheap?



And then Joe started sanding, and I breathed a sigh of relief. It was going to be ok. I obviously have never done this before, or I wouldn't have gotten so nervous. Lesson learned.

And then it was time to stain. This was another decision based on cost. I wouldn't have chosen this stain, but thankfully it works out wonderfully! Especially with the red in our house and garage. Getting it back together was a little difficult. It also required a quick run to the Depot for some screws. We are still slowly acquiring things homeowners should have on hand.



Tada!!! Some other boards will be need to be replaced in the coming years. But it fulfills our needs for the rest of this season, and maybe even next. I, as always, was very happy to cross something off our Home To Do List (it really exists, I'm an organizational freak).

Total project cost: $10 for table, $10 for stain (with TONS left over), $15 for wood (also with lots left over) and a six pack for the gentleman who helped me pick it up. Not bad for our first project of this type.

No comments:

Post a Comment