Sunday, July 31, 2011

Columbia's Muddy Buddy 2011

I have a dear friend who I like to call my "adventure buddy." New Year's Day 2010, we jumped in Lake Michigan for the Polar Bear Plunge. While this Plunge was not affiliated with any charities (there is one later in the year that supports the Special Olympics) it was definitely a great time!

Deciding that it was time for another adventure, we decided to sign up for the Columbia Muddy Buddy! The Muddy Buddy is a race you complete with a partner, one person runs and the other rides a bike, you arrive at an obstacle and then switch (the runner bikes and the biker runs). Its approximately a 6 mile course (ours was 5.7 miles), and then at the end you and your buddy crawl through a mud pit together!


The heat certainly was not on our side. I had to walk instead of run. The asthma and the heat were just not having it. So, I am disappointed with that aspect of my performance. The obstacles were a fun challenge. For some of the more challenging ones people worked together to get everyone through. There was a nice sense of team effort in that respect.  The hurdles...which I didn't know about until the week of the event...were not nearly as complicated as I was expecting! Another weak spot I had...the last obstacle of the course was scaling an eight foot wall. By the time we got to it, it was covered in slippery mud and my fear of heights got the best of me. Well, not fear of heights, fear of falling from heights.


So, while I am not completely happy with my performance, I did have a wonderful time and was proud of myself for finishing! Best of all, when I got home and logged on to see our time, the Mud-diving Mischief Makers (our amazing team!) did not finish last! Our time was
1:34:09.4. While we were F A R from first place, we were more than a half hour ahead of the last place. Overall it was a success! Our goal was to finish the race, which we successfully did! We are considering racing again next year!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like so much fun! I can't believe you had to scale a wall and do hurdles! Let me know when it is next year, maybe I'll register too! You guys look super-cute after crawling in the mud I have to say!

    ReplyDelete