Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Help

Most of you know that I have started a Facebook Book Club. Basically I need to be held responsible in order to keep reading...I'm very busy and very easily distracted, but I LOVE reading. I was an English Literature Major after all! And this club will introduce me to stories I probably would not normally read.

September's book choice was The Help. It was a great book! It is based in 1960's Jackson, Mississippi and is about the relationship between white women and African American maids. It was heartbreaking for me to read the racial tension that took place in our country. But it was also an inspirational tale as one young woman wrote a book from the maid's point of view and supported all the women who shared their story with her. Its a must read!

I took myself to see the movie on Monday. Joe wanted to stay home, but I was sick of being trapped in my house while work was being done on my bathroom. There was one thing I liked better about the movie then book; the ending. I feel like the book left so many questions hanging about the future of the young author and the maids as they dealt with the aftermath of the tell-all book. The movie leaves the viewer hopeful that all will be OK with all of the women. An ending I would like to imagine.

October's book is Silent in the Grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment