Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Julie and Julia vs. Meg and Ree

As I'm sure most of you know by now, there was an author named Julie Powell who wrote about her experience cooking all of Julia Childs' recipes in Mastering the Art of French Cooking in one year. It was an interesting concept and had me thinking about what cookbooks I would like to make everything in.

By now, I'm sure you have all gathered that I like the Pioneer Woman and her cookbook; The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Before I continue, I would like to once again explain why.
  1. I grocery shop at Walmart and Target. There has only been one ingredient I could not find in either of those stores...and to be honest, I'm not sure I checked at Walmart.
  2. The woman is practical. She gives options if you are missing some ingredient or uses dried herbs occasionally instead of fresh. Basically she lives in the middle of no where, so her ingredients have to be something she can have easy access to.
  3. She gives ideas on how to preserve the food. Example: when and how to freeze or store a recipe, etc (until my husband went searching, I had a pie plate of her Cinnamon Rolls in my freezer).
  4. And while this doesn't have anything to do with her cooking, her writing is amusing. Who doesn't like to be reminded to poor yourself a glass of wine while cooking with it? Or to use more butter? Wine and butter are good...although probably not together.
So, no, I am not going to be writing about every recipe I make. And I do not have a time frame on which to cook everything in her cookbook. I have been choosing two to three recipes a week and giving it a shot. The more I cook the more I realize I may end up doing the whole book and cooking something I would not have normally cooked. For example, I think I may end up making her prune cake...and that is not something I would have said when I first purchased the book and I believe it to be a true possibility now.

I guess we will see how this goes and how it is followed through. I may post occasional blogs about my progress, but I will not be writing about every recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment