Friday, November 18, 2011

The Blog Post I Didn't Think I'd Ever Write

There were somethings I was planning on never talking about in this blog. The plan was to keep somethings private and not share with the world. Last night changed that.

Last night I was watching Private Practice. It was a two hour special that followed one of the doctors through her struggle with addiction. During the episode a debate between two doctors (neither the addict) occurred comparing and contrasting heart disease and addiction. Basically, they are both diseases, neither of which a person is responsible for contracting. (Note: there are things you can do to treat both these illnesses, and I encourage people to seek that treatment.) As the show continued, I realized how common and acceptable addiction has become. No one is looked down on for admitting they are an addict and have been clean for any amount of time. I have even seen strangers congratulate and encourage people upon learning they have become sober. As I sat in bed watching, it then occurred to me how far behind society is on mental illness.  Physical conditions (ie heart disease) are accepted without the blink of an eye. Addiction issues are becoming main stream and less taboo. Yet mental illness continues to have this huge black stigma cloud hanging over it. The reason? I believe its because people don't understand it. And why is that? Because people do not talk about it much, not the people suffering, the people treating the disorders or the media. The lack of understanding and accurate information on mental illness prevents people from seeking help, keeps people ashamed of their illness and does not provide the support that someone needs (however, if it was a more physical ailment they would have people lined up to help them in a heart beat). Naturally, the fix would be to make mental illness a less taboo topic. I quickly realized that if I wasn't willing to take a step in this direction, I certainly couldn't expect other to do the same. So....

My name is Meg, and I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. It is not my fault, I did not bring it on myself, my brain chemicals and neurons just do not always work properly. With the proper treatment (which I have) I am able to live a normal and mostly symptom free life. I refuse to feel ashamed for something is not my fault. I am hoping my honesty will be a step forward in destigmatizing of mental illness. If you know anyone suffering from a mental illness I ask you to please not look at them any differently then you would if they had a physical illness. It is not their fault anymore then cancer would be.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more.

    My name is Matt. I have Bipolar Disorder and Anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that ur the change you want to see.

    I'm Sarah. I've had PostPartumDepression/Anxiety, PTSD, and am seeking a holistic health. Previosu DX: bipolar but learning a more accurate new diagnosis: PMDD premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Even professionals have a lot of learning to do, human mind is amazing.

    ReplyDelete