Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Books

Being an English Literature major,  I have a deep love for books. In fact, before Joe and I got married I had insisted he move to a larger apartment, largely because I was planning on bringing my books with me. There are a handful of books that mean a lot to me:

  1. Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales- While I have yet to read the entire work, but what I love about this piece of literature is the way that Chaucer was able to write satire about the world in which he lived, while hiding it within his story. He's one smart dude.
  2. Anita Diamant's The Red Tent-This is one of the few novels I have reread. Because of the musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, everyone knows the story of the males in the family, but Diamant used her novel to write about what life was like for the women in that era, as seen through the eyes of the boy's sister.
  3. Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love-This is a book I am in the middle of rereading now. Normally biographies don't do it for me. However, I found this one inspiring. Partly because she shared her journey on how she put her life back together when it was in pieces, and partly because I am jealous of how she was able to do it. I would love to spend a year abroad nurturing myself to a happy place. Until my next trip to the other hemisphere I will just have to keep rereading this book.
  4. These are my guilty pleasure series: Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum Series. They are a mystery/romance/comedy series and literally makes me laugh out loud. I remember working at the convent and laughing hysterically at my desk. The next book comes out in two weeks!!!!
On my to read list (please feel free to add suggestions):
  1. Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  2. The full The Canterbury Tales
  3. Deanna Raybourn's Silent in the Grave

No comments:

Post a Comment