Monday, November 14, 2011

My Grandmothers

I have written a lot of fluff pieces the past week. I suppose that is the trouble with blogging everyday for a month...30 different topics worth writing about does not an easy list make. So today I am going to go back to one of the things my mother suggested I write about, relationships in different generations. When I first read this suggestion, I wasn't quite sure where to take it, but then it clicked. I can write about how I am like my grandmothers. It's very interesting the combinations of traits I've acquired from these two equally strong women.

Since my mom suggested this topic, lets begin with my maternal grandmother. The traits of hers that I have acquired: the desire to travel the 50 states, my love for the military, my fierce independence and my love of gardening and entertaining. My Oma has done road trips to every one of the continental states, supported her husband in World War II and is determined to live on her own. She also has a garden that takes up a decent chunk of her yard and used to have parties like no body's business. Its fun to tell her about my container garden, recipes I am trying out or parties I am hosting.

As for my father's mother, we have quite a bit in common as well. She is where I get my crazy strong desire to travel internationally, I definitely have her sense of adventure, love of crafting and her ability to make everyone feel welcome. Since getting my first taste of internationally travel I have been unable to leave my passport at home for more then a handful of years. She'd be proud of that. She searched for adventure, even took flying lessons! It is because of her that I crochet and embroider. And I have the same open door policy in my house that she had. Everyone is welcome.

I always enjoy doing things with my grandmothers. It's always fun to learn new things or discover similarities. I am grateful to have these two strong women as examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment