Saturday, November 5, 2011

My Need to Travel

When Joe first met me he did not understand my need to travel. He didn't see the point in spending so much money in such a short amount of time. What was the point really? This came as a shock to me because I LOVE traveling and seeing new places and making new memories. I remember being in Disney World and riding Splash Mountain, being assaulted by a goat in Texas, discovering the joy of raspberry chocolate chip ice cream in Ohio, seeing the inside of the FBI in DC and seeing a favorite gymnast practice for the Olympics in Colorado. All of these are important memories, and I intend to keep adding to the list....preferably without any more goats, that just wasn't necessary.

After my first trip to Europe my need (I do consider it a need, its definitely more then a want) to travel increased tenfold. Seeing things that we will never have in the US because of its infancy. Seeing new cultures, trying different food....you should have seen my face when I found out I was eating duck for the first time. Because my first trip to Europe was with my extended family, I got to experience all these new and wonderful things with my parents, brother, aunts, uncle and cousins. When I had the opportunity to spend a college Spring Break in London, it was an absolute no brainer. I can't really explain why, but England has always felt like a second home to me. I go there and I feel at peace, like everything is right in my world. To get to spend another week there was amazing, and its also where I cultivated friendships with some of my closest friends.

So as Joe and I are trying to figure out the how, when and where of the trips we want, I can't help but be reminded of my grandmothers, both of whom like to travel; one in the US and the other the world. After taking a few trips together Joe is warming up to the idea of travel. He is starting to look forward to our trips and get excited about them with me. It makes me so happy to be able to share one of my greatest passions with him. Last week he even mentioned how some of his favorite times with me is when we travel and see something new together.

5 comments:

  1. Traveling is the most amazing experience. I agree that it's a need, not a want. I love that you're bringing Joe over to the dark side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad he's catching on!!! I couldn't imagine a life without traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to travel! Joe's like Mom - she has never flown in an airplane and is terrified of it. She would rather travel in a car or not at all. I love everything about traveling (even the airport). I am constantly thinking about where to go next, while Eric is the more level-headed one who is always bursting my bubble with the "we don't have the money" talk. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's excited about our trip to Cali next year...thats something I HAVE to make sure there is always money for. I can't explain it....but for me it truley is a need and not a want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this blog post. I love to travel too. And your funny ;)

    ReplyDelete